Saturday, February 14, 2009

2001 Top 5 Lists

Happy New Year to you all! Since I've always had a hard time keeping my opinions to myself, I have, completely unsolicited, compiled another round of Top 5 lists. These movies, videos, LP's/CD's, and books may not all have been released in 2001, but that's when I got around to seeing/hearing/reading them:

TOP 5 MOVIES
Memento (whodunnit? damned if I know)
Sexy Beast (Ghandi kicks ASS!)
The House of Mirth (people are nicer now...well, aren't they?)
The Royal Tenenbaums (a Glass family for the new Millenium)
You Can Count On Me (does anyone ever really grow up?)

TOP 5 VIDEOS
The Decalogue (never have I seen artistry and compassion more skillfully combined)
Waking The Dead (romance fueled paranoid fantasies or vice versa)
Tigerland (the savior's name is Roland T. Bozz)
Flight of The Innocent (such tenderness, such violence)
Abre Los Ojos (there really is no need to see Vanilla Sky)

TOP 5 LP'S/CD'S
The Strokes- Is This It? (unlike anything you've ever heard...since 1976)
The Donnas- Turn 21 (AC/DShe!)
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros- Global Au Go Go (the man continues to amaze)
The Dictators- DFFD (Who Will Save Rock & Roll...)
The Dickies- All This And Puppet Stew (BIG surprise, 20 years in and going strong)

TOP 5 BOOKS
American Tabloid- James Ellroy (seedy, sleazy, down and dirty Camelot)
White Teeth- Zadie Smith (rage against the melting pot)
Sarah- JT Le Roy (Protistute "Alice" in West Virginia truckstop "Wonderland")
A Confederacy of Dunces-John Kennedy Toole (Ignatius J. Reilly-a true original)
A&R- Bill Flanagan ("music industry" is an oxymoron)

Please feel free to e-mail back with a list of your own, just to me or to the whole group. I'm always looking for entries for next year's lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment