Saturday, February 14, 2009

2005 Top 5 Lists

Another year gone and my family has not been smited by Mother Nature. I consider us blessed- many have not been so lucky. SERIOUSLY!! WHAT IS GOING ON!! As the floodwaters recede in my town of Sonoma, I reflect on the cultural artifacts that made an impression on me in 2005 and respectfully submit my list of Top 5’s for the year. While many of the selections below were not released in the last year, 2005 was the year I first saw/heard/read them:

TOP 5 MOVIES
Brothers (cain/able vice-versa)
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (funniest since…..?)
The Squid and the Whale (sophistication/suffocation)
Me and You and Everyone We Know (a conversation/near divorce starter)
Junebug (southern gothic)

TOP 5 DVD'S/VIDEOS
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (sex vs. love)
Fat Girl (puberty blues)
Fail-Safe (President Fonda)
3-Iron (helpful home invasion)
The Safety of Objects (neighborhood watch)

TOP 5 LP'S/CD'S
Fountains of Wayne- Out-Of-State-Plates (B-sides better than most group’s A-sides)
John Vanderslice- Pixel Revolt (pop horrors)
101’ers- Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited (Joe Strummer 101)
Big Star- In Space (The year’s biggest musical surprise)
The Killers- Hot Fuss (new band/old sound the kids and I dug)

TOP 5 BOOKS
Harbor- Lorraine Adams (millennium immigration story)
Killer On The Road- James Ellroy (psychobiography)
Gilead- Marilyn Robinson (father’s legacy)
Perv: A Love Story- Jerry Stahl (Stark, Bobby Stark)
Summerland- Michael Chabon (baseball odyssey)

Please feel free to respond with Top 5’s of your own as I am already looking for next year’s selections. Happy New Year- here’s to a natural disaster-free 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment